- In 2002, only 94 books were written about, and 48 books written by, Latinas/os: That number has not improved.
- For instance, 2012 statistics reveal that out of a total of 5,000 children’s books published that year, 54 of them were written about, and only 59 were written by, Latinas/os.
- In 2011, just over 3% of 3,400 books reviewed were written by or about Latinos.
- Only 18% of Latino fourth graders were proficient in reading; meanwhile, 44% of their white peers were classified as being proficient in reading.
- In Texas alone, by the year 2050, another study shows, public schools will serve 9 million students, from the 5 million at present—of these, 6 million will be of Hispanic origin.
A teacher speaks at MACC reading/forum
Oralia Garza de Cortés