Monday, April 02, 2018
INVITATION: AERA Presidential Session—"They Tried to Bury Us, They Didn't Know We Were Seeds: The Fight for Mexican American Studies in Arizona."
INVITATION: AERA Presidential Session on the Ethnic Studies battle in Arizona titled, "They Tried to Bury Us, They Didn't Know We Were Seeds: The Fight for Mexican American Studies in Arizona." This is a full, two-hour session that takes place in New York City on Sunday, April 15th from 8:15-10:15.
Organizer: Angela Valenzuela, Professor, Educational Administration, University of Texas at Austin
Chair: Lorenzo Lopez, Director, Culturally Relevant Pedagogy and Instruction, Tucson Unified School District, Tucson, Arizona
· Richard Martinez, Civil Rights trial attorney
· Angela Valenzuela, professor, University of Texas-Austin
· Alexei Marquez, former TUSD-MAS program student
· Dr. Nolan Cabrera, associate professor, University of Arizona-Tucson
· René Martinez, former curriculum writer and teacher, TUSD-MAS program; currently, a vice-principal in the Isaac School District in Phoenix, AZ.
· Dr. Erica Ávila, Assistant Superintendent, Curriculum Head, Isaac School District in Phoenix, Arizona
After our presentations, we would like to open up the conversation to a more intimate community conversation on Ethnic Studies.