#EthnicStudies #MexicanAmericanStudies #CulturallyRelevantCurriculum
Hi Angela, Carlos did the speech as part of his wax museum project for school that you—especially elementary school teachers (Angela's note: That you can download here.) Carlos attends Our Lady Queen of Angels Catholic School in southern California. The teachers mailed a packet home with all of the forms the kids would be going through as they did the research for their assignment like a biography, a map, and a portrait, etc. The steps of the assignment are below:
- Choose a person from history (living or dead)
- Help your child stay on task in completing the work each day
- Assist in creating the Tri-Fold board (optional) and prepping items to dress up as their person of choice.
- Encourage your child to practice the speech that they will write. (It is written in the first person, as your child is assuming the role).
- Help your child in recording and posting on FlipGrid
Carlos chose Julian as soon as we found out about this assignment in the fall. As part of his research, we even went to see Julian in LA when he had a fundraiser here. I put pictures of his completed assignment below.
-Deyanira Nevarez Martinez, MS, MSGIST