Translate

Monday, April 22, 2024

Building Bridges Amid Book Bans Capitol Summit by Students Engaged in Advancing Texas (SEAT) on April 21-22, 2024 [video]

Friends,

View here.
So happy to share this Instagram video by youth organization, Students Engaged in Advancing Texas (SEAT) headed by Cameron Samuels and his outstanding team...Da'Taeveyon Daniels, Christianna, Angel Huang, Haydn, and the rest of them who came from as far as El Paso and Beaumont. 

Specifically, I highlight here Saturday evening's anti-book-banning event at Book People this weekend here in Austin, Texas. It was livestreamed on Instagram. You can view the video here. 

It was awesome hanging out with Children's Defense Fund Texas Program and Policy Manager, Youth Engagement Maggie Stern. Thanks for teaching me how to make a Zine.

Maggie is so gifted and loving in everything she does to help cultivate many of our youth into the incredible, wonderful people they are. It's also clear that there are a lot of great things these young people are doing with their lives on their own time, too.

As for myself, I'm blown away after having spent two days contemplating not just book bans, the attack on librarians, and an absence of libraries in some schools, but actually talking about books, audiobooks, and the transformative, liberating power of books, librarians, and libraries.

Basil, thanks for opening up my eyes about Emmanuel Kant and the Enlightenment. It was eye-opening. Another one I came across was Sharon Smith's text titled, Subterranean Fire. Looking forward to all my Summer reading. What a treat! 

This gave me the opportunity to share books with them, too, as per this initial recommended listI honestly can say that I've lived my whole adult life and I've never had an extended conversation with youth about books.

These young people are our future. My heart is so full after spending the weekend with them and Maggie. Honestly, my friends, our future couldn't be in better hands. These young people are so incredibly bright, principled, passionate, and phenomenal. Do take some time and listen to the video. My heart is full.🩷

-Angela Valenzuela

Follow SEAT on Instagram @studentsengagedtx

#SEAT24







 



No comments:

Post a Comment