Came across this list of resources in English and Spanish for parents, educators, and caregivers in the wake of last week's traumatic events in Uvalde that I'm happy to share.
-Angela ValenzuelaAs we shared on Twitter last week, Child Trends staff are saddened and angered by the shooting in Uvalde, Texas. We believe that every child deserves to be safe from school violence and the fear that they will experience it. Our colleagues at the National Research Center on Hispanic Children & Families collated a list of resources to help parents, caregivers, and educators support children and youth after a school shooting, which we're sharing with you. Each resource is available in both English and Spanish. Please forward this list to anyone you know who might find such supports helpful.
Resources for Parents and Caregivers
- Parent Guidelines for Helping Youth After the Recent Shooting
- Guía Para Los Padres Para Ayudar A Los Jóvenes Después De Un Tiroteo Reciente
- Helping Teens with Traumatic Grief: Tips for Caregivers
- Ayuda Para Los Adolescentes Con Duelo Traumático
- Helping Your Children Manage Distress in the Aftermath of a Shooting
- Cómo Ayudar A Sus Hijos Tras Los Tiroteos En Los Centros De Educación
Resources for Educators
- Helping Youth After Community Trauma: Tips for Educators
- Ayuda Para Jóvenes Después De Un Trauma Comunitario
- Helping Children Cope After a Traumatic Event
- Cómo ayudar a los niños a lidiar con un evento traumático
- Quick Guide to Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Guía rápida sobre el trastorno de estrés postraumático