Translate

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Are you proud to be an American, or do you really not care too much about your nationality and your country?

Amazing, short blog post that I encourage you to read.  White supremacists try to take you on by questioning your loyalty and patriotism to our country, asking such things as the question in the title.  N.B. White supremacy is an ideology, so you could be a person of color and subscribe to this ideology, as well.

While I don't agree with every point, I do agree with the general one that our task is to take on the premise that one is automatically supposed to be proud to be an American when we've become the despots that we as a nation have presumably so reviled in the world.

Read his complete answer below.

-Angela

Are you proud to be an American, or do you really not care too much about your nationality and your country?




Fake news, of course, but it makes the
same point that Fenton makes here.
My answer may upset you or others. I was born in the USA. I served over 6 years in the U.S. Army in the 1960s. I was proud of America and what it stood for and wherever I went around the world I help my head high and knew I stood for something that was right. Then, along came Lyndon Johnson and all those who followed him in the White House. Then, came Newt Gingrich. The moral center of America began to change, the good parts disappearing and being replaced by philosophies no different than the tyrants we fought against in WW I and II. We became like our enemies. Today, I find that former allies and enemies laugh at the USA, worry about us as a potential despotic country bent on world domination, and finally we are led by a man and men, who are no different than the despots of history. I’m an old man now and moving to another country would be a danger to my health, among other things. If I were 20 years younger I would leave this country and seek citizenship elsewhere. I weep for my friends who fought and died for this country. And, I wonder why we have been betrayed by our leaders. A Sergeant Major back in 1962 told me that there was no difference between the Soviet Union and the USA. I argued with him about that. Time has shown me that he was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment